Monday 30 September 2013

San Vitale, Ravenna

San Vitale (interior, detail of nave), Ravenna

When I found out that I was going to be in Venice, which is 2 hours north of Ravenna, I made a firm proclamation that "we must see San Vitale". The reason I was so motivated to see this church in particular, was not only because it is a pinnacle example of late Roman era architecture, but because I had studied this church every year since the 12th grade since it popped up as an example in almost every Art History course I had ever taken. The 2 hour drive to the sleepy town of Ravenna was most definitely worth it (the town had an oddly good selection of quality shoe stores for a obscure location, which made my boyfriend very happy and worth the drive for him). 
Perhaps one of the most important, and talked about examples of Byzantine-Christian architecture is the Basilica of San Vitale in Ravenna, Northern Italy. The basilica was built in 547 A.D., and remains one the most well preserved, and intact pieces of Byzantine architecture in Western Europe. The church is most famous for its plethora of Byzantine mosaics, which according to sources is the largest and best preserved outside of Constantinople (modern day Istanbul).
Basilica of San Vitale


Sketch of San Vitale, Ravenna
Rendering

View of Gilded Dome Interior
Basilica Interior

No comments:

Post a Comment